Greek Turnip and Cucumber Salad
I know I said citrus and turnips and though this dish could easily be made with lemon juice – that counts doesn’t it? – i just couldn’t switch gears to orange flavors once I got started. Turnips this time of year are great for salads. Sliced thin, julienned or grated, the winter cold has brought out their sweeter side and created the perfect balance of crispness and flavor.
This is the perfect accompaniment to grilled meats or richer cuts. The Greek yogurt is a soft base to layer crisp watery cucumbers alongside thinly sliced turnips. A dash of lemon juice or vinegar, chopped parsley and thinly sliced onions or in this case shallots, a little salt and pepper and your done.
Simple, crisp, light and tasty. I think this is my new favorite turnip dish. Though Turnip and Yukon mashers are hard to beat.
- 1 purple top turnip, peeled and julienned
- 1 cucumber, peeled, deseeded and julienned
- 1 small shallot, thinly sliced
- 3 T lemon juice or white wine vinegar
- 2 T parsley, chopped
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt, or other plain yogurt
- Add turnips, cucumbers and shallots to bowl, toss with lemon juice or vinegar and season to taste with salt and pepper. Toss with yogurt and parsley. Serve stacked alternately for height with rich meats, or grilled and strongly flavored foods.
- Also remember, Full Circle's Farm-to-Table Box Challenge started this week and ends next Friday. To see how you can participate and for official rules and regulations visit our Facebook page.