Using the Raw Bounty of Summer at its Best
Check out Monday’s post for 5 important reasons why everyone should enjoy more raw produce this summer. Now is a great time to take advantage of the outstanding flavors and immense health benefits of raw fruits and vegetables, enjoyed just the way nature gives them to us this time of year. This is one of my favorite summertime recipes that makes the most of this season’s harvest while remaining simple, refreshing and healthy – a welcomed addition to any summer meal.
- 1 bunch red kale, washed and pulled from the stalk
- 1 bunch green kale, washed and pulled from the stalk
- 2 large lemon
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp fresh ground black pepper
- 4 tbsp good quality olive oil
- 1 cup ripe strawberries, sliced
- ¼ cup toasted pumpkin seeds
- Tear the kale leaves into bite-sized pieces and toss together in a large salad bowl.
- Squeeze the juice of the lemons over the kale, add the salt and, with clean hands, massage the kale until it just begins to break down and become tender, about 2 minutes (this process helps break down the starches in the kale that can be a bit tough and harder to digest).
- Add the pepper, olive oil, strawberries and toasted pumpkin seeds. Toss to combine and serve immediately.