Meatless Mondays: Pasta Primavera
This simple pasta dish is a great way to enjoy a variety of vegetables for Meatless Monday. Although ‘primavera’ means Spring, any mix of seasonal veggies can make a great dish. Broccoli, carrots, beans, cauliflower, mushrooms and more all create different tastes and textures. Although meatless, chicken, pork or shrimp can be browned prior to starting and added at the end to finish in the sauce.
Prefer a cream sauce?
If you prefer a creamy sauce, you can easily substitute 1/2 cup of heavy cream for the vegetable stock. Just remove the veggies prior to reducing the cream so as not to overcook them. If you’re adding shrimp, I like to boil the shrimp peels in about three cups of water with onion and garlic and a bay leaf. Let simmer until reduced by half. This can be used in place of the vegetable stock and adds great flavor.
Cutting veggies into similar sizes helps to cook them at the same rate.
When choosing your vegetables, remember that any veggie will work, just take care to cut them into similar sizes and shapes. Things like broccoli, beans, peas, and greens can all go in after the harder vegetables have softened.
- 4 servings pasta, cooked
- 3 Tbsp oil
- 1 Tbsp
- 1 cup onions, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup mushrooms, chopped
- 1 cup carrots, thinly sliced
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 1 cup green beans, halved
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 1/4 cup vegetable stock
- 1/2 cup finely grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 1/4 cup fresh chopped basil
- 1/4 cup fresh chopped parsley
- Sat and pepper
- In a large sauté pan, heat oil and butter over medium-high heat. Add onions and sauté until soft and lightly browned, about 3-4 minutes. Add garlic and mushrooms and sauté, stirring until mushroom are soft, another 2-3 minutes.
- Add carrots, broccoli and green beans. De-glaze pan with wine and reduce until almost fully evaporated. Add stock and cook until reduced by half. Remove veggies seasoning with salt and pepper to taste, add cheese, butter, herbs and pasta to pan. Toss pasta to coat, mound on plate and cover with veggies.