Farro Stuffed Green Pepper Recipe
Delicious with heirloom farro, this dish can also be made with brown rice, barley, quinoa or other grains. Looking to add some texture and up the vitamin and mineral content? Add sautéed kale, chard or other greens.
- 1 cup farro or other grain, cooked
- 2 Tbsps olive oil
- 1 cup onions, diced
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 2 cups cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1/3 parsley, minced
- 1/3 cup fine breadcrumbs
- 1/2 tsp minced herbs, rosemary or thyme
- 4 medium sized bell peppers, tops and seeds removed
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 350F. Set cooked farro to the side.
- In a large sauté pan heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onions and celery and sauté until soft, 4-5 minutes.
- Add mushrooms and sauté until brown and soft, toss in garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Toss in parsley and breadcrumbs, season with salt and pepper.
- Mix with farro and season again if necessary. If dry add 1-2 tablespoons of olive oil. When combined fill each pepper, place on baking pan and put in oven.
- Bake until tops are browned and pepper is soft. Remove and serve.