Sesame Broccoli Stir Fry
For a quick broccoli soup, boil them in stock with a few garlic cloves, and half a sliced carrot. Throw in a few chunks of sourdough bread and blend until creamy, salt and pepper to taste! When using broccoli in a stir fry don’t throw out the stems, just peel them to remove the tough outer layer and slice them thick on the bias so they cook at the same pace as the florets. Serve over rice.
- 2 large broccoli heads, trimmed into florets
- 3 garlic cloves, smashed
- 1 T ginger finely diced
- 2 T scallions, chopped mostly whites
- 4 T sesame oil
- 3 T soy sauce
- Salt and pepper
- 1 t chili flakes
- 1 t sesame seeds
- Quickly steam the florets and cut stem pieces for 1 minute, or until bright green in color, remove and chill under cold water.
- In a small bowl mix 2 T of sesame oil, soy sauce and chili flakes, you can also add hoisin sauce, oyster sauce or fish sauce if you have it, but it is not necessary.
- Heat remaining oil in pan or wok over high heat, when hot add garlic and ginger, toss quickly until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add scallions and sauté until soft, then add broccoli and toss quickly for 1 minute, add soy sauce mixture and toss for 2 minutes or until broccoli is al dente.
- Remove from heat and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
You can also add carrots, bok choy, zucchini or other veggies if you like with the broccoli. If carrots, its best to parboil them as well until tender, cool and then add with broccoli for a healthy stir fry.