Watermelon, Tomato and Mint Salad Recipe
With fresh watermelon coming in off the field and available at local farmers markets, it’s time to get creative with this surprisingly versatile fruit. Pairing with a salty cheese like feta allows this melon to really shine.
- 1 (4- to 4 1/2-pound) watermelon, preferably seedless
- 3 large ripe tomatoes, preferably green or orange heirlooms, seeded and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1/2 medium sweet onion, such as Vidalia, Maui, or Walla Walla, thinly sliced
- 4 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
- 1 cup crumbled feta
- 2 limes juiced
- Cut off and discard the watermelon rind. Cut the watermelon into 1-inch cubes, removing any seeds as needed. Transfer to serving bowl. Cover and refrigerate until chilled, at least 1 hour and up to 12 hours.
- Add the tomatoes, onion, and mint to the watermelon and toss gently. Add the feta and lime juice and toss again. Serve immediately.