Savory Mashed Garnet Yams Recipe
Just in case you didn’t get enough Garnet yams (which are actually sweet potatoes) for the holidays, here’s a delicious and simple recipe for Garnet Yam mashers.
- 2.5 pounds of garnet yams, or other yellow fleshed sweet potatoes
- Coarse Kosher salt
- ¼ cup whipping cream
- ½ Tbsp fresh lime juice
- Freshly chopped chives
- Freshly chopped sage
- 2 Tbsp brown butter
- Chopped rosemary
- Parmigiano Reggiano
- 1 finely chopped chipotle pepper (from canned peppers in adobo sauce)
- Place yams in large pot. Cover with cold water by 2 inches. Sprinkle with coarse salt and bring to boil. Reduce heat to simmer gently until yams are very tender, about 10 to 15 minutes.
- Drain and reserve pot. Let yams rest in strainer at least 10 minutes and up to 30 minutes.
- Press yams through potato ricer back into pot or mash yams with potato masher.
- Combine cream and butter in glass measuring cup. Microwave on high just until warm, about 45 seconds.
- Add cream mixture to yams and mix with potato masher or whisk until puree is almost smooth. Stir in lime juice.
- Season to taste with coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper and mix in any optional ingredients.
Looking for other great holiday recipes? Download our free holiday ecookbook – A Winter Feast to Remember