The California Avocado Commission has predicted that 26 million avocados will be consumed this Super Bowl Sunday. While most of that will be purchased from grocery stores, why waste money buying it when it is so easy and tastes so much better when you make it yourself? Try this simple, classic recipe and you won’t be disappointed!
- 6 avocados
- 1/2 medium red onion, small dice (1/4 inch)
- 1 large or 2 small ripe tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper
- 1/2 bunch cilantro, chopped
- Juice of 2 limes
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, as needed
- A couple of dashes of Tabasco or your favorite brand of hot sauce
- Peel the avocados and cut roughly into medium dice (1/2 inch cubes)
- Combine avocadoes and rest of ingredients in large bowl and mix well. Smash avocados just a bit with the back of the spoon or a fork to make a chunky paste.
- Adjust seasoning with salt, pepper and, hot sauce to taste.
- Serve right away or make ahead and keep cold. In either case, start making another batch – as this one will be gone quickly.