Valentine’s Day Recipe: Dungeness Crab Risotto
This luscious dish is simple to prepare and a real treat. Just remember the key to successful risotto is the gradual addition of hot stock and frequent stirring. The amount of crab in our 2-serving recipe will satisfy any seafood lover and could easily be stretched into a double recipe. Full Circle member’s can order our Valentine Dinner For Two–Crab Risotto Combo, which includes Dungeness Crab, Carnaroli Rice, shallots, chives, lemon, a Molten Chocolate Cake by Hot Cakes, two 100% Beeswax Candles from Moon Valley and a recipe card. Simply add a fresh baby greens salad or favorite veggie to make it perfect for your sweetheart. (Crab Risotto Combo available in limited quantities)
- 3 cups low-salt chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 cup fish stock or clam juice (*see note below)
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium shallot, finely chopped
- 1 cup carnaroli or arborio rice
- 1/2 cup Prosecco or white wine
- 2-3 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- ½ pound Dungeness crabmeat
- ¼ teaspoon finely grated fresh lemon zest
- Bring broth to simmer in medium saucepan; keep warm. Melt butter in a large, heavy saucepan over medium-low heat. Add shallots and sauté until tender, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add rice and increase heat to medium. Stir until edges of rice begin to look translucent, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add Prosecco or white wine and stir until liquid is absorbed, about 1 minute. Ladle in 3/4 cup warm broth and cook at a strong simmer, stirring, until absorbed, about 2 minutes.
- Continue adding broth by 3/4 cupfuls, stirring until almost all broth is absorbed before adding more, until rice is tender but still firm to bite and risotto is creamy, about 20 minutes total.
- Remove from heat and stir in 2 teaspoons lemon juice and 1-1/2 tablespoons of the chives.
- Gently fold in crab. Taste and season with salt, pepper and/or additional lemon juice as desired.
- Spoon into shallow bowls and garnish with remaining chives and a light dusting of lemon zest.
Adding fish stock or clam juice adds a rich flavor–though this is still delicious with all chicken or vegetable stock–just increase to 4 cups total.