Smoked Salmon and Potato Chowder Recipe
This heart-healthy soup can be dressed with a variety of toppings, from scallions and sour cream, to bacon or dill. Let your family or guests choose their own by offering several optional toppings at the table.
- 3 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 2 medium leeks, white and light green parts, halved lengthwise, washed and chopped small
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 5-6 cups low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth (you may need more or less depending on how thick or thin you like your soup)
- 2 bay leaves
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 2 1/2 lbs russet potatoes, peeled, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 2 cups smoked salmon, roughly chopped
- Salt and ground black pepper to taste
- Minced fresh chives or scallions
- Minced dill
- Sour cream
- Drizzle of browned butter
- In a large, heavy pot or Dutch oven, melt butter over medium heat. Add leeks and cook them until soft, avoid browning, about 5 minutes. Add smoked paprika and the minced garlic and cook another minute. Add the broth, bay leaves and 3/4 teaspoon salt. Add potatoes and simmer, partially covered, until potatoes are tender, easily smashed with a fork, about 15 to 20 minutes.
- Remove bay leaves. Add sour cream to soup and simmer gently for another 2 to 3 minutes. Adjust seasonings, adding more salt and pepper to taste. Using an immersion blender, or food processor, process soup until chunky-creamy, leaving lots of potato texture intact. If you prefer a creamier soup, blend until desired consistency, but you may need to add more stock. Mix in smoked salmon. Serve with any optional toppings.