Easy Spring Quiche Recipe
Now, I know Bruce Feirstein, in his sartorial best-selling novel, said “real men don’t eat quiche”. But seriously, what man wouldn’t want to eat, much less know how to make, such a delicious vehicle for eggs and bacon?
My wife, though she won’t eat eggs scrambled, fried, hard-boiled or poached, will eat a dozen deviled eggs and will tolerate a quiche. Oh the infinite ways of a women’s culinary heart.
When using fresh, seasonal and quality ingredients you’ll find that any man, real or imaginary, might just wolf down a dainty slice of this excellent dish. Also perfect for a ladies luncheon, a couples pot-luck, or packed as a snack on a rugged fishing trip, quiche is a handy recipe to have at your disposal.
Originally, quiche crusts were made from bread dough, but now shortcrust or puff pastry make a lighter container. If you’re hesitant to attempt this recipe because of the crust, you can either purchase a pre-made crust (you Full Circle members can add one of Essential Bakery’s delicious crusts to your order), or you can make this crustless quiche recipe.
Either way, you’re bound to love this simple and delicious egg dish.
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup heavy cream or milk
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 9 inch pie crust
- 1 cup cheese (swiss or cheddar)
- Broccoli, leeks, asparagus, spinach, mushrooms or other filling ingredients, cut into small, bite-sized pieces
- 4-6 slices of bacon, cooked and crumbled (optional)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Prepare selected filling by sautéing lightly in butter and minced garlic, or steaming quickly until tender.
- Mix eggs, milk or cream and salt and pepper until combined.
- Place filling ingredients in crust, add egg and milk mixture, top with cheese and place in oven for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 350 degrees and bake until brown on top and just set in the middle of quiche.
- Allow to cool for 10-15 minutes before cutting and serving.
You can easily judge if your quiche is done by lightly jiggling the pan in the oven. When the center just barely still jiggles, remove from the oven, drape with tin foil and let sit until firm.