Avocado and Strawberry Salad with Poppyseed Vinaigrette
A can’t remember where I came across this poppy seed dressing. I’ve used it as a dressing for fruit salads as well as on greens and it works wonderfully for both. If you don’t have any avocados ripe or on hand you can also substitute mangoes. For a crunchy texture add in some pistachios or walnuts, just make sure to roast them first to bring out their oils and give them some added crispness.
Also, try using a mixture of greens instead of just lettuce; arugula, mizuna and claytonia add great flavor and are nutrient rich, as well as chopped herbs like cilantro, parsley, chives, fennel fronds and dill all will add to the flavor and texture of your salad.
- 1/3 cup champagne or white wine vinegar
- 1/3 cup sugar or honey
- 1/2 small onion
- 1tsp Dijon mustard
- 1tsp salt
- 1 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2T poppy seeds
- 1 avocado, sliced into thick chunks
- 1 cup strawberries, thickly sliced
- 4 cup mixed greens, mizuna or arugula
- Place vinegar in small bowl.
- Add sugar, mustard and salt, mix well until sugar and salt dissolve.
- Place half onion in blender or food processor, add liquid and blend until mixed.
- Add oil in thin stream until emulsified.
- Return to bowl and stir in poppy seeds.
- Salt to taste.
- Place mixed greens in bowl, toss lightly in dressing and plate.
- Garnish with avocados and strawberries and drizzle with dressing.
- Serve immediately.
This is also a great dressing to make when you just have a small amount of dijon left in the jar. Just add the rest of the ingredients, shake vigorously and serve.