Streusel-Topped Rhubarb and Strawberry Pie
With tart rhubarb on the scene, nothing pairs better than sweet strawberries. Don’t want to go through all the hassle of making an interlacing piecrust top? Use this great streusel recipe to top that bubbly goodness. Even better, add an Essential Baking pre-baked crust to your next order and forgo the whole crust-making experience all together!
- 1 9” unbaked pie shell (store-bought works great!)
- 3 1/2 cups 1/2-inch-thick slices trimmed rhubarb (1 1/2 pounds untrimmed)
- 1 16-ounce container strawberries, hulled, halved (about 3 1/2 cups)
- 1/2 cup (packed) golden brown sugar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1 tsp ground cardamom
- Grated zest from 1 orange
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup toasted hazelnuts, roughly chopped (can substitute other nuts or whole oats)
- 4 Tbsp unsalted butter, cut into bits
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Combine filling ingredients in a large bowl and toss gently to blend, set aside.
- Mix together the flour, cinnamon, salt sugar and nuts.
- Add the butter and rub in with your fingertips until the mixture resembles coarse breadcrumbs. Spoon filling into crust and sprinkle streusel evenly over the top.
- Bake 20 minutes at 400°F, then reduce oven temperature to 350°F.
- Bake pie until golden and filling thickens, about 50 to 60 minutes longer.
- Transfer pie to rack and cool completely.