Pasta Salad with Grilled Sausage and Peppers Recipe
With warmer weather on the horizon, I’ve been searching for simple recipes for picnic and barbecues. I came across this one in Food & Wine and it seemed like a great idea for using leftover veggie kebabs, a few grilled sausages, shrimp, or whatever you have on hand. A mix of peppers brings a variety of flavors, from fruity yellow to sweet reds, but grilled green peppers and white onions are the base.
- 1 pound Casarecce pasta or other pasta
- 6 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 3 Tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 1/2 tsp finely grated lemon zest
- 1 Tbsp tomato paste
- 2 large garlic cloves, very finely chopped
- 1 large shallot, thinly sliced and separated into rings
- 1 1/2 tsp chopped thyme
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- ½ pound Italian sausage links (or large shrimp or frim grilled tofu), cooked
- 2 large green peppers, grilled, de-seeded and sliced
- 1 large yellow pepper, grilled, de-seeded and sliced
- 1 large red pepper, grilled, de-seeded and sliced
- 1 large onion, grilled and chopped
- 1 head friseé or radicchio, finely chopped
- 1 large head of fennel, very thinly sliced crosswise
- 1/4 pound smoked mozzarella, cut into thin strips
- 1 cup chopped basil
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil, add a teaspoon of salt and cook pasta until al dente.
- Drain, reserving 1/4 cup of the cooking water.
- Transfer the pasta to a large bowl.
- Drizzle lightly with olive oil and toss to coat. Let cool to room temperature.
- In a medium-sized bowl, mix lemon juice, lemon zest, tomato paste, garlic, shallot and thyme.
- Stir in olive oil and reserved pasta cooking water.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Add 1/4 cup of the dressing to the pasta and toss.
- Add the sausages, peppers, onion, friseé, celery, mozzarella and the remaining dressing and toss well. Season the pasta salad with salt and pepper, sprinkle with the basil and serve.