Cucumber, Cantaloupe and Summer Squash Salad
A simple and delightful salad to showcase the flavors of the season, this salad is excellent paired with prosciutto and a light baguette. The perfect addition to a porch gathering or picnic.
- 1 cup plain whole-milk yogurt
- Finely grated zest of 1 lime
- 1 Tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1/2 tsp coarse salt
- 1/4 tsp ground cumin
- 1/8 tsp freshly ground pepper
- 3 yellow summer squashes (about 1 pound), unpeeled
- 1 English cucumber (about 10 ounces), unpeeled
- 1 1/2 Tbsp unseasoned rice-wine vinegar
- 1 tsp coarse salt
- 1/4 large cantaloupe, rind removed
- To make the dressing, combine yogurt, lime zest and juice, salt, cumin, and pepper. Cover, and refrigerate 20 minutes.
- For the salad, using a vegetable peeler or a mandoline, shave squashes and cucumber into wide ribbons, stopping when you reach seeds.
- Toss with vinegar and salt. Cover, and refrigerate.
- Shave cantaloupe into ribbons, and refrigerate.
- Just before serving, drain cucumber and squash ribbons, and toss with cantaloupe.
- Drizzle with dressing.
From Martha Stewart Living, July 2007