Potato Salad with Cornichons and Capers Recipe
Trade your traditional white potato salad for this gourmet upgrade. Lose the mayonnaise for Dijon mustard and olive oil and add some capers and cornichons along with spring onions for a fresh pickled flavor.
- 2 pounds fingerling potatoes or small golden, sliced into ½-inch rounds
- 2 Tbsp coarse salt
- 2 Tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 spring onions, thinly sliced
- 5 cornichons, rinsed and sliced into thin rounds
- 2 Tbsp capers, rinsed and chopped
- 2 Tbsp flat leaf parsley, chopped
- ¼ tsp fresh ground pepper
- Boil potatoes until tender, about 6-8 minutes.
- Drain (reserving 1 tablespoon cooking water), rinse with cool water and drain again until almost completely dry and cool.
- In a small bowl whisk together vinegar, mustard and reserved boiling water, drizzle oil in a small stream while whisking until well incorporated.
- Transfer potatoes to a large bowl, toss with vinaigrette to coat.
- Add onions, cornichons, capers and parsley.
- Season with ground pepper and salt to taste.
- Serve immediately or chill further.