Easy Black-Eyed Peas and Summer Corn Salad Recipe
This is a simple, nutritious, and delicious dish that can be an excellent side to summer grilling or a cool dish for a hot summer evening. Black-eyed peas are a great source of protein and contain all essential amino acids as well as being a good source of essential minerals.
Mixed with fresh off the cob corn kernels, some fresh tomato salsa, peppers and cilantro, and you’ve got a fiesta inspired dish with delicious and healthy potential. Want to up the nutrition? Try adding cooked and cooled brown rice, quinoa or barley.
- 2 cups purchased fresh tomato pico de gallo salsa
- 1 cup corn kernels, cooked and cooled
- 1 cup well-drained canned black-eyed peas
- 1 small green bell pepper, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 small jalapeño chili, seeded and finely chopped (about 2 tablespoons)
- 1 lime juiced
- Chop two ripe tomatoes, 1/2 red onion, 1-2 jalapenos, minced and 1/2 cup of cilantro.
- Season with salt and squeeze in the juice of one lime.
- Mix and let sit for the flavors to meld.
- Combine this salsa with corn kernels (for a richer taste roast the corn to cook), peas, bell pepper, cilantro and jalapeno, depending on how much heat you like.
- Season with salt and pepper and lime juice.
- You can also add barley, or another grain for an added carbohydrate boost.
- Serve chilled.