Fresh Pico de Gallo Salsa Recipe
My grandmother used to make two kinds of salsa everyday. Both were a version of Pico de Gallo, a basic fresh tomato-based salsa prevalent in most Mexican homes. Pico is a simple blend of diced tomatoes, jalapenos, onion, cilantro, salt and lime juice, and is essential in Northern Mexican cuisine.
One batch she made mild, for us kids, and the other was very spicy for Grandpa. This salsa was served at every meal, from breakfast to dinner. It added spice and flavor to nearly everything, bacon and eggs, a plate of beans, carnitas and was a staple for snacking.
Here is a simple recipe for Pico that I hope you enjoy this summer.
- 3 large, ripe tomatoes, diced
- 1/2 cup red, white or green onions, diced
- 2-3 jalapenos, minced (depending on tolerance)
- 1 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1 lime, juiced
- Mix all ingredients in a large bowl.
- Season with salt and lime juice to a good balance.
- Remove half the mixture and process in a food processor until chunky.
- Mix back into the remainder and serve with chips.