Plum, Blueberry and Arugula Salad Recipe
Summer is definitely the time to experiment with different fruit combinations. New and interesting hybrids like the necta-plum, a nectarine-peach-plum hybrid with flavors of each, can add a splash of summer to your salad.
Every salad I make has pretty much the same ingredients lately. Some type of light summer green like arugula, butter lettuce, or herbal mix; chopped fresh fruit: plums, nectarines, peaches or berries; and chopped nuts: especially cashews, pinenuts and walnuts.
If I have the time I’ll roast the nuts briefly in a dry pan to bring out their oils and then let them cool while I prep everything else. If you’re into dairy some crumbled goat cheese is a great addition.
The one thing I do that strays from the norm is grated carrots and summer squash. This adds both moisture and texture, not to mention great nutritional value. The moisture makes the salad need less dressing and the texture gives it some great crunch. Don’t peel them either, just wash them clean and then grate them into the salad.
This recipe uses two fruits that complement each other, along with a garlic balsamic dressing that is spicy, tangy, and goes well with the arugula.
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tsp fresh oregano
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- Fresh ground black pepper
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- ¾ cup olive oil
- 6 cups washed and dried arugula
- 2 carrots, grated
- 1 zucchini, grated
- 1 cup tomatoes, chopped (optional)
- 1 cup cucumber, chopped (optional)
- 4 plums, pitted and sliced into wedges
- 1 cup blueberries
- ¼ cup pinenuts, roasted until golden brown and cooled
- To make the dressing start by smashing the garlic cloves into a paste with a pinch of salt.
- Once paste consistency add oregano and mustard.
- Sprinkle with freshly ground pepper and mix thoroughly.
- Add balsamic vinegar and drizzle in olive oil, whipping until emulsified.
- Season to taste with salt.
- To plate, add a handful of arugula, sprinkle with carrots and zucchini, plum slices, blueberries, pinenuts and any other ingredients.
- Drizzle with dressing and serve.
photo credit: julochka via photopin cc