Watermelon, Cherry and Arugula Salad Recipe
With cherries still going strong and watermelon coming in off the fields this salad is perfect for a late summer picnic. Adjust the vinegar and sugar to find the balance between sweet and tart.
- 4 cups seedless watermelon, peeled and cubed
- 3 cups seasonal cherries, pitted and halved
- 3 Tbsp red wine vinegar or champagne vinegar
- 2 Tbsp fresh mint, chopped
- 2 Tbsp fresh basil, chopped
- Baby arugula or salad mix
- Mix watermelon, cherries, sugar and vinegar in a large bowl, tossing lightly to coat, but avoid bruising the watermelon.
- Taste and adjust between sweetness of sugar and tartness of vinegar.
- Depending on the sugars of the fruit you may need to add more sugar.
- Lightly toss in herbs and mix in arugula or salad mix.
- Serve immediately.