Spinach and Cilantro Curry Recipe
This delicious and simple curry can be eaten as an appetizer with naan, pita breads or thick tortillas. It can also be served over rice as a main course. Though this recipe calls for coconut powder, sometimes called coconut milk powder, it can be made with coconut milk. Add enough to help the ingredients reach desired paste-like consistency, but not so much that it overpowers the other flavors.
- 1 large bunch of spinach, washed, trimmed and chopped
- ½ cup washed cilantro leaves, roughly chopped
- 1 small green jalapeno, minced
- 1 small piece of ginger, sliced in thin slivers
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp cumin seeds
- 1 Tbsp coconut powder
- ½ Tbsp olive oil
- 5 - 6 mint leaves for garnish
- Heat medium-sized frying pan over medium-high heat, add olive oil. When the oil becomes hot, add cumin seeds and fry for 1 minute.
- Add chilies and ginger and fry until the ginger becomes light-brown, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add cut spinach leaves, mix well and cook until they become soft and lose their moisture, about 3-4 minutes.
- Remove from heat and keep aside for about 10 minutes, allowing to cool.
- In a food processor, add cooled spinach, cilantro and all other ingredients. Process on high until the spinach leaves are well incorporated with the spices to form a smooth paste.
- Add a little water, or coconut milk, to desired consistency.
- Garnish with mint leaves and transfer to a serving dish.