Savory Roasted Sweet Potatoes Recipe
So initially this post was called Roasted Yams and … but as you can find out here, yams don’t really exist in the United States. So feel free to use what ever type of sweet potato you enjoy, the reddish-orange sweeter variety or the more yellowish sweet potato. They’re both delicious and I find that the yellow sweet potato works better for these more savory dishes.
- 2 ¾ pounds tan skinned sweet potatoes (often labeled as yams), peeled, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 8 Tbsp peanut oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 ½ tsp salt
- 1 ½ tsp fresh ground pepper
- 1 ½ pounds red onions, halved and cut crosswise into ¼-inch slices
- ½ cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
- 1 Tbsp fresh rosemary, chopped
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Cover two large baking sheets with foil.
- Place sweet potatoes on one and drizzle with most of oil, reserving 2 tablespoons for onions. Sprinkle with garlic, 1 ½ teaspoons salt, and 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper.
- Toss to coat and then spread out in a single layer.
- Place onions on other sheet and sprinkle with remaining oil, salt and pepper. Toss to coat and spread into a single layer.
- Place potatoes on center rack and onions on lowest rack.
- Roast until potatoes are tender and onions are beginning to caramelize, stirring every ten minutes, about 30 minutes total.
- Once potatoes are tender and onions are well caramelized mix in a bowl, sprinkle with cheese and rosemary and toss.
- Season to taste with more salt and pepper and serve.
Adapted from Epicurious.com