Apple Cranberry Chutney Recipe
For those of you who didn’t get enough cranberry sauce for Thanksgiving, or those that did but want something a little bit different for a Christmas turkey, you should try this chutney. Although it lacks the vinegar tang, it still has a bright blend of fruits, herbs and spices to accompany even the most flavorful fowl.
- 3 Granny Smith or Gala apples, peeled, cored and cut into 1/4-inch chunks
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup fresh orange juice
- 1 1/2 tbsp melted butter
- 2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp freshly grated ginger
- 1/8 tsp ground cloves
- 1/2 pound fresh cranberries
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Toss together apples with remaining ingredients, except for cranberries.
- Spread evenly in a 13x9-inch baking dish.
- Roast mixture, stirring occasionally, until apples brown and soften and release their juices, about 40 minutes to 1 hour.
- Remove dish from oven and mix in cranberries.
- Continue roasting until cranberries soften and the remaining liquid has reduced, about 15-20 minutes.
- Let cool to room temperature.