Sauteed Broccoli with Garlic
This is a traditional and wonderful way to serve broccoli, cauliflower, kale or other Brassicas. Sometimes the best way is also the simplest. Don’t throw out those stems! They may seem tough, but prep them by using a potato peeler to remove the tough outer skin then slice into bite-sized pieces.
- 1 head of broccoli, cut into florets
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 4 minced garlic cloves
- 1 tsp red chili flakes
- 1 to 2 Tbsp water
- 1/2 lemon for juicing
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Steam the broccoli until bright green and slightly tender but still crisp.
- Remove and quickly cool in an ice bath or under cold running water. Set aside.
- In a large sauté pan heat oil over medium-high heat, when the oil is hot, but not smoking, add garlic and sauté until soft and acutely fragrant, being careful to not let the garlic brown.
- Stir in red chili flakes, broccoli and water.
- Season with salt and pepper, cover and cook for 1 minute.
- Remove from heat, plate and squeeze the juice of one lemon over broccoli.
- Serve immediately.