Healthy and Delicious Miso Soup
This simple soup takes less than 20 minutes to prepare, and offers plenty of antioxidants, probiotics and a host of beneficial properties to help you improve the function of your immune system.
- 4 cups vegetable or mushroom broth
- 3 tablespoons organic red miso paste
- 3 cups thinly sliced portobello or shiitake mushrooms
- 2 cups thinly sliced raw kale or chard
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger root
- ½ cup sliced green onions
- ¼ teaspoon chili flakes
- In a medium sized soup pot, warm vegetable broth over medium heat.
- In a small mixing bowl measure 3 tablespoons of red miso paste and add a half-cup of hot broth.
- Stir to dissolve paste and then add it back to the soup pot, whisking to dissolve completely.
- Add sliced mushrooms to miso broth, cover pot and simmer at a low temperature for 5 minutes or until mushrooms are cooked through.
- Remove from heat and add remaining ingredients.
- Let the soup rest, covered, for a few minutes to wilt the greens.
Bio: Aubrey Jenkins is an up-and-coming food blogger and photographer from Seattle who writes to inspire home chefs to cook intuitively and eat mindfully with a focus on whole foods, seasonal eating and healthful alternatives. Check her out at www.drumbeets.com