Baked Barley Risotto with Butternut Squash Recipe
Looking for a tasty dish for you loved ones? Something that will nourish the body and the mind? Look no further than this amazing baked risotto. Packed full of whole grain goodness and butternut squash-a-liciousness, it’s a real crowd pleaser and easy to make.
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 shallot or leek, finely minced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ Tbsp dry thyme, tarragon or sage
- 1 small butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cut into 1-inch pieces
- Salt and pepper
- 1 cup pearly barley
- ½ cup white wine
- 3 cups low-sodium vegetable or chicken broth
- 5 ounces baby spinach
- ½ cup grated parmigiano-reggiano
- 1 Tbsp unsalted butter
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- In a large, heavy-bottomed Dutch oven heat oil over medium high heat.
- Sauté onion until translucent and soft, about 3-5 minutes.
- Stir in garlic and herbs and stir until acutely fragrant, about 1-2 minutes.
- Add in squash and continue stirring for another 2-3 minutes.
- Add in barley, toasting for one minute, stirring occasionally.
- Deglaze the pan with wine, scraping any brown bits off the bottom. Let cook until absorbed and then add broth.
- Bring to a boil, cover and transfer to the oven. Bake for 35-40 minutes, or until barley is tender.
- Remove from the oven, stir in spinach, cheese, and butter.
- Serve with additional parmigiano grated on top.