Blood Orange, Avocado and Arugula Salad
Blood oranges are a bright spot on the citrus scene each winter. Their complex flavor combine sweet-tart citrus with complex and dark essence of blackberry or blueberry. Eat these delicious oranges up as quick as you can find them. Avocado goes well with acidic citrus as does greens like arugula or spinach.
Try this recipe for a quick and simple weeknight salad.
- 2 oranges, zested
- 2 small blood oranges, juiced or 1 large orange, juiced
- 2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 Tbsp honey
- 2 2 shallots, minced
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 3/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 10-12 oz washed arugula or spinach
- 1 tangerine, cut into peeled wedges
- 1 avocado, cut into chunks
- 2 Tbsp pine nuts, roasted in a dry pan until light brown and salted
- In a blender combine the zest, juice, vinegar, honey, shallots, salt and pepper.
- Blend until well incorporated. While blending, add olive oil in a steady stream to emulsify.
- Transfer to a container and refrigerate.
- Place arugula in a large bowl. Toss with vinaigrette and top with tangerine and avocado chunks. Sprinkle on pine nuts and serve.