Spicy Cabbage Slaw Recipe
Cabbage is an amazingly versatile vegetable. Often boiled and served with butter it can be relegated to a side dish, especially around St. Patrick’s Day when corned beef takes center stage. But don’t sell that big green head short – cabbage is an amazingly healthy veggie.
Check out our post Six Reasons to Eat More Cabbage for the skinny on this nutritious beast. In the meantime, try out this simple and tasty slaw that can take the place of your usually boiled chunks or find it’s way to the top of pulled pork, sausage sandwich, or just mixed into salad.
- 1 large green cabbage head, finely sliced
- 1 medium carrot, cut into thin sticks
- 1/2 small red onion, cut lengthwise in thin strips
- 2 to 3 jalapeno peppers, seeded and thinly sliced
- 2 T chopped cilantro
- 1 lime, juiced
- 2 to 3 t white wine vinegar
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Combine all vegetables in a large bowl and toss with lime juice, 2 teaspoons of vinegar, olive oil and salt and pepper to taste.
- Add more vinegar as necessary.
- Let sit for 20 to 30 minutes for flavors to combine and serve.
Adapted from Alice Waters Chez Panisse: Vegetables