Beet, Carrot and Cabbage Salad Recipe
This recipe is great for baby beets and rainbow carrots. You can either slice everything in halves, rounds or julienne in strips to make more of a slaw. Since their is no cooking involved the vegetables retain all of their nutrients and crunch.
If you have bigger chunks, or things are a bit too crunchy for you just mix the beets and carrot with the vinegar and salt. Let sit overnight in the fridge and then mix the rest of the ingredients in. The acid in the vinegar will soften everything up make them more tender.
- 2 baby beets, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1/4 green cabbage, julienned
- 3 carrots, peeled, and thinly sliced on the bias
- 1/4 large white onion, julienned
- 3 T cilantro, roughly chopped
- 1 T whole cumin
- 1/4 red wine vinegar
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Mix the first five ingredients in a large bowl.
- In a dry skillet roast cumin seeds over medium heat until slightly browned. Set aside to cool.
- Sprinkle mixture with vinegar and toss to coat.
- Drizzle olive oil over mixture and salt and pepper to taste.
- Let sit for one hour to soften beets and carrots, more if needed.
- Sprinkle with cumin seeds to serve.