Tofu Enchiladas for Cinco de Mayo
Tofu is the soft white curds of coagulated soy milk pressed into blocks. Of Chinese origin it has been a staple food in the Asian diet for over 2000 years. A versatile ingredient due to its lack of flavor and ability to soak up the flavor of surrounding marinades, tofu can be eaten on its own or included in a variety of dishes.
Tofu also freezes well, though the consistency becomes denser, making it better for use as a meat substitute in dishes like tacos, lasagna, enchiladas and more. It can also be smashed and used to make scrambles or blended to make high protein smoothies or dips. Try these easy tofu enchiladas for a healthy dinner or lunch, or as a vegetarian option for your Cinco de Mayo fiesta!
- 4 Tbsp cooking oil
- 1/2 cup diced carrots
- 1/4 cup diced yellow onions
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 1/2 lbs. fresh spiced or plain tofu
- 1 dozen corn tortillas
- 3 cups grated jack or cheddar cheese
- 2 small can sliced black olives
- 1/4 cup diced scallions
- 3 cup enchilada sauce
- In a medium sized skillet heat 2 tablespoons oil over medium high heat. When hot, sauté onions, carrots and garlic until onions are translucent, add cumin, paprika, and chili powder, sauté lightly for an additional minute, remove from heat.
- In large bowl, mash tofu, add onion carrot garlic and spice mixture, mix thoroughly, salt and pepper to taste and set aside. In medium pan heat 2 tablespoons oil over low to medium heat, soften tortillas in small amount of hot oil, place in casserole pan and spoon in small amount of tofu mix, add small amount of cheese, scallions and green olives and roll up.
- After pan is filled, top with sauce and remaining grated cheese, black olives and onions. Cover with aluminum foil and bake in oven at 350 degrees until hot, 30 minutes or so, remove cover and brown cheese, 5 minutes or until brown.
- Serve with avocado slivers, salsa & plain yogurt or sour cream.
Tip: For a more ‘meaty’ ground beef texture, freeze tofu prior, thaw and drain with light pressure between paper towels, then crumble for recipe.