Black Pepper Cauliflower Salad
I came across this recipe by Heidi Swanson in 101 Cookbooks. It is simple, delicious and wonderfully combines the light mustard flavor of cauliflower with peppercorns vinegar and olives. I made only a few modifications to the original recipe. Substituted shallots for red onions and kalamatas for black olives(mainly because someone around here doesn’t like black olives) and the shallots just because they have a rounder more subtle flavor.
I also replaced the boiled cauliflower with roasted because I don’t like boiling my vegetables and the roasted flavor is more robust, but you can definitely just boil them to tenderness, which is a bit faster and doesn’t take a hot oven.
- 2 pound head of cauliflower, cut into tiny florets
- 3/4 cup diced shallots
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3/4 teaspoon fine grain sea salt
- 1 tablespoon black peppercorns, crushed
- 1 cup toasted pistachios, roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 3 apples, diced*
- 1/3 cup chopped Kalamata olives
- Preheat oven to 400°. Toss florets in two tablespoons olive oil and spread cauliflower out evenly on a baking sheet.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes. Until florets begin to brown.
- In a medium sauce pan combine shallots, vinegar, oil, salt and pepper. Bring to a simmer over medium heat for 3-4 minutes. Once the shallots have lost some of their color and become soft remove from heat and set aside.
- To serve place cauliflower in a large dish. Add pistachios, feta, apples, olives, and 2/3 of the vinaigrette. Toss to mix.
- Taste and adjust seasoning, top with rest of the vinaigrette.
photo credit: Chiot’s Run via photopin cc