Grilled Cantaloupe with Prosciutto and Mozzarella
Summer melons are here! Cantaloupe, watermelon, honeydew and other musky delights are a delicious addition to summer breakfasts, picnics and desserts. Easily paired with yogurt or added to fruit salad, melons are also great on the grill.
Their musky sweetness is complemented by a smoky sear on the barbecue. Combine that with some salty cured meats and soft fresh mozzarella and you have a delicious appetizer or afternoon snack.
- Extra virgin olive oil for grilling
- One 2-pound cantaloupe, halved, seeded and peeled. Cut into 1-inch wedges
- Freshly ground pepper
- 4 ounces thinly sliced prosciutto
- ¾ pound fresh mozzarella, thinly sliced
- Finely chopped parsley for garnish
- Prepare a grill, making sure that the grate is clean, seasoned and hot.
- Brush melon wedges with oil and season with sale and pepper.
- Grill melon over high heat spot on grill, turning once, about 5 minutes. Melon should be lightly charred and come away from grill cleanly.
- Arrange slices on serving platter and top with prosciutto and mozzarella.
- Garnish with the chopped parsley and drizzle with olive oil.