Quinoa, Cashew and Chicken Salad Recipe
With the summer heat coming on strong, cool meals like this that are easy to transport lakeside, poolside or whatever water source your flocking to, are a delight. Especially with minimal stove time to heat the house.
We met our friends for a day in Volunteer Park Sunday. While the kids splashed around the wading pool we laid out a variety of cold salads, sliced melon and other snacks to feed hungry mouths. This salad was one of my favorites.
It’s also diary, soy and gluten free, which is a plus in our house. The perfect dish for a potluck.
- 1 Tbsp oil
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 1/2 cups boiling water
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ¼ cup lime juice
- ¼ olive oil
- 1 tsp cumin
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 1 cup roasted, unsalted, roasted cashews
- 6-8 red radishes, halved and sliced
- 2 large avocados, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 4 green onions, sliced
- ½ cup fresh Italian parsley, chopped
- 1 cup golden raisins
- Lettuce leaves for serving, green or butter
- In a small saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Add quinoa and stir until fragrant and lightly toasted, about 2 minutes. Add garlic and toss for 30 seconds more. Add water, cover and turn to low. Let sit until all water is absorbed, about 10 minutes. Fluff with a fork and let sit for 5 minutes more. Transfer to a sheet pan or flat dish and cool to room temperature or cooler.
- In a small bowl place lime juice and drizzle in oil while whisking vigorously. Season with cumin, salt and pepper.
- Mix cooled quinoa with the rest of the ingredients, pour dressing over salad and toss to mix. Serve over leaves of lettuce.