Butternut Squash, Onions, Spinach and Goat Cheese Pizza
This recipe from Epicurious is a great snack for a fun get together or a weeknight dinner. Butternut squash is great this time of year and spinach is still available from warmer southern farms.
Make your own dough, or add one of our ready-to-bake doughs to your Full Circle order. Sprinkle a little goat cheese on top along with a dash of red pepper and parm and you’ve got a delicious meal in minutes.
- 2 cups cubed butternut squash (1/2-inch pieces)
- 1 Tbsp plus 1 tsp olive oil, divided
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 medium red onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 ball (16 ounces) ready-to-bake pizza dough, at room temperature
- 2 cups chopped fresh baby spinach
- 4 ounces crumbled goat cheese
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp red peppers
- 1/4 cup grated parmigiano-reggiano
- 2 Tbsp cornmeal
- Preheat oven to 400°. Insert pizza stone on bottom rack (or use an inverted 11" x 16" cookie sheet, not heated) as oven heats to temp.
- In a large bowl, toss squash with 1 teaspoon oil, season with salt and pepper.
- On a baking sheet, cook squash until soft and lightly browned, 25 minutes, stirring halfway through; set aside.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil. Cook onion, seasoned with salt and pepper, until golden brown, stirring as needed, about 10 minutes. Add 2 tablespoons water or white wine; cook, stirring, until evaporated, 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Turn oven up to 450°.
- Sprinkle flour on a flat surface. Press dough into a 15-inch circle or 10" x 16" rectangle. Drizzle with olive oil and top with roasted squash, caramelized onion, fresh spinach, cheese and thyme. Sprinkle red pepper flakes and parm on top.
- Dust stone or inverted sheet with cornmeal; place pizza on it.
- Bake until crust is crispy and cheese melts, 10 to 12 minutes.