Pomegranate Quinoa Pilaf Recipe
Crunchy, tart pomegranate seeds add texture and flavor to this simple quinoa pilaf. Want to peel a pomegranate without blasting seeds all over the place? Get a large bowl of water. Cut the pomegranate in half, push the center out slightly and then whack the back of the pomegranate over the bowl of water. The seeds will pop out into the bowl and the water will separate the pulp, which floats, from the seeds, which sink.
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 medium white shallot, diced
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup pomegranate seeds
- 1/2 cup diagonally sliced scallions
- 1 Tbsp chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1 tsp fresh lemon zest
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a heavy-bottomed saucepan over medium-high heat. Sauté shallots until translucent and fragrant. Add the quinoa and stir to coat.
- Add the chicken broth and bring to a boil. Lower the heat, cover and simmer for about 20 minutes, until the liquid is absorbed and the quinoa is puffed up and unfurled.
- In a large bowl, combine 1 tablespoon oil, pomegranate seeds, scallions, parsley, lemon juice, and zest.
- Add the quinoa and season with salt, and pepper to taste.
- Garnish with toasted, slivered almonds.