Persimmon, Pomegranate and Pear Salad Recipe
There are two common varieties of persimmon – the Hichaya and the Fuyu. Hichaya’s tend to be more elongated and darker in color, they must also be allowed to ripen until they’re nearly squishy soft. The Fuyu on the other hand is more squat and round and is best eaten when crunchy.
This recipe can be made with either variety since the pears and pomegranate seeds provide excellent texture, but the Fuyu variety is the most common as some Hachiya’s need to be ripened until they are almost ready to be eaten with a spoon.
- 2 Fuyu Persimmons, peeled and chopped
- ¾ cup Pomegranate seeds
- 1 Comice of D’Anjou pear, peeled, cored and chopped
- 7-10 fresh mint leaves, minced
- ½ tsp minced orange zest
- 2 Tbsp fresh orange juice
- 1 tsp honey
- 1 tsp Champagne vinegar
- ¼ tsp salt
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- In a large bowl, mix together persimmons, pomegranates and pears.
- In a small bowl whisk together the rest of the ingredients except for the oil.
- When well combined, whisk in the oil in a steady stream until emulsified. You can also do this in a food processor for a thicker dressing.
- Toss fruit in dressing and serve.