Asian Pear Slaw Recipe
Asian pears have a delicious crisp flavor and bright mild sweetness that makes them perfect for a quick slaw. An excellent side dish for an evening dinner, it pairs well with Korean-style spare ribs or teriyaki chicken.
Use crisp, firm pears for good crunch as the acids will soften them slightly as they marinate.
- 2 celery ribs or 2 cups jicama cut into ¼-inch matchsticks
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons seasoned rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon finely grated peeled fresh ginger
- 2 firm Asian pears, cut into 1/4-inch-thick matchsticks
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced diagonally
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon finely chopped fresh hot red chili, or to taste
- Chopped roasted unsalted peanuts
- Whisk together juice, vinegar, and ginger and stir in celery and remaining ingredients with salt and pepper to taste.
- Let stand at room temperature 15 minutes before serving.
- Sprinkle with peanuts.
Looking for something a little more traditional? try this Spicy Asian Coleslaw recipe.