Wild Rice with Mushrooms
Use a mixture of cremini mushrooms along with shiitake, chantrelle or other wild mushrooms along with an heirloom grain like faro or einkorn to really make this dish stand out. A hearty turkey stock or rich chicken stock will also help to bring out the earthy richness of this simple side dish.
- 2 (6-oz.) packages long-grain and wild rice mix
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 large sweet onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 12 ounces assorted fresh mushrooms, trimmed and sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup Marsala
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- Prepare rice mix according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, melt butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat; add onion, and sauté 7 minutes or until translucent and beginning to color, add garlic and toss for 30 seconds.
- Add mushrooms and salt; sauté 4 to 5 minutes or until mushrooms are tender.
- Deglaze with Marsala, and sauté until liquid is absorbed, about 3-4 minutes.
- Stir mushroom mixture and parsley into prepared rice.
Looking for a side dish without the grain? Try our Roasted Cippolini Onions with Cremini Mushrooms and red Pepper recipe.