Green Smoothie Recipe
It’s officially 2015 and I think we’re all more than ready for a break from the holiday feasting. While we may be thinking up plans for a healthier year, sometimes its hard to turn them into reality. For me, mornings are the hardest. Its the rush to get out the door that gets me every time, the hectic pace of weekday mornings that leaves me breakfastless.
I’m sure you’ve heard it before, we all have – breakfast is the most important meal of the deal. Breakfast sets you up with the fuel you need for the day ahead. So, while we’re trying to get our fruits and vegetables in for a healthy reboot we might as well start with the beggining of the day.
Smoothies are a great quick boost. You can measure all of the ingredients beforehand so in the morning you can just toss it in the blender and go. Adding greens to your morning smoothie is the perfect way to start your day off on the right foot.
For some extra energy and protein you can pour your green smoothie into a bowl, top it with cashews, almonds, dried fruit, chia seeds, or hemp seeds and enjoy with a spoon!
A few tips for green smoothies:
- Blend the greens with the liquid first to make sure they are properly broken up.
- Don’t use ice. Instead use frozen fruit to make a thick and creamy smoothie.
- 1 cup milk/almond milk/soy milk
- 1/2 cup yogurt
- 2 cups spinach or kale, stems removed
- 1 frozen banana
- 1 tsp honey (optional)
- 1/2 cup frozen mango (optional)
- 1/2 cup pear, peeled
- Add the milk, yogurt, and greens to the blender and blend until the greens are broken up.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and blend until smooth.
- Serve in a glass and enjoy!
If you’re in more of a berry mood, check out this smoothie recipe.