Caprese Salad + Balsamic Reduction
Fresh mozzarella has to be one of the best cheeses; it’s always pleasantly mild, cool and refreshing. Just add some organic heirloom tomatoes and fresh basil (both of which are arriving in Full Circle deliveries this week) and this simple dish really shines. But remember, because this salad is so simple, high-quality ingredients are imperative. If you use standard hothouse tomatoes and processed mozzarella, you’ll definitely be able to tell.
- 1 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/3 cup honey
- 3 large organic heirloom tomatoes, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1 (16 ounce) package fresh mozzarella cheese, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Stir the balsamic vinegar and honey together in a small saucepan and place over high heat. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat to low and simmer until the vinegar mixture has reduced to about 1/3 cup (or about 10 minutes). Set the balsamic reduction aside to cool.
- Decoratively arrange alternating slices of tomato and mozzarella on your serving platter.
- Gently sprinkle with salt and black pepper.
- Spread fresh basil leaves over the top of the salad and drizzle with olive oil and the balsamic reduction.
Pro tip: If you’re in a hurry, many grocery stores now offer prepared balsamic reductions.
Adapted from allrecipes.com.