Looking for a new way to serve dinner? This creamy risotto, served in fresh radicchio leaves, is sure to be an instant favorite. The slightly spicy and bitter raw radicchio leaves are the perfect complement to rich risotto and the bright colors will definitely brighten up your evening.
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 oz pancetta, minced
- 1/2 cup organic onion, minced
- 2 heads organic radicchio, julienned
- 3 cups Arborio or Carnaroli rice
- 1 cup dry white wine, room temperature
- 7-8 cups chicken stock, heated
- 2 tbs organic unsalted butter
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 head of Chioggia radicchio, leaves separated
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the pancetta and sauté until golden brown, about 4 to 5 minutes.
- Slowly add the onion and sauté until softened, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Continue stirring and add the julienned radicchio, sauté until tender, about 2 minutes.
- Remove the mixture from heat using a slotted spoon. Set aside.
- In the same pan, add the rice and stir for 3 to 4 minutes, making sure that all the grains are coated and rice is translucent.
- Add the wine and stir until it is completely absorbed.
- Begin to add the chicken stock, 1/2 cup at a time, stirring frequently to prevent sticking. Wait until the stock is almost completely absorbed (but never dry on top) before adding the next 1/2 cup. Reserve 1/4 cup to add at the end. Stir frequently to prevent sticking for 18 to 20 minutes.
- When the rice is tender, but still firm, turn off the heat and stir in the butter and the remaining stock. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Place a Chioggia radicchio leaf on each individual serving plate. Spoon the risotto into the leaf, allowing it to spill out. Make a well in the center and spoon in the radicchio mixture.
- Serve immediately.
Adapted from Williams-Sonoma, via Food Artisans.