Classic (Kale & Asparagus) Caesar Salad
Looking for an ultra-healthy salad that doesn’t sacrifice deliciousness? Look no further. This classic (kale & asparagus) Caesar salad has all the comfort-food familiarity of a regular Caesar with the added nutritional kick of dark green organic kale and crunchy asparagus. I promise that this dish will deliver happiness and flavor to your table.
Full Circle History Lesson: The Caesar Salad
The Caesar salad’s creation is generally attributed to restaurateur Caesar Cardini, an Italian immigrant who operated restaurants in Mexico and the United States in the early 1900’s. His daughter, Rosa, recounts the tale of a busy 4th of July evening in 1924 when the restaurant ran out of many ingredients and Caesar was forced to make due with what was left–and thus his namesake salad was born.
- 1/2 small organic garlic clove
- Kosher salt
- 1/2 tbsp anchovy paste
- 1/4 tsp dijon mustard
- 1 large free-range egg yolk
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp grated parmesan
- Fresh ground black pepper
- 1-2 bunches organic kale, ribs removed, chopped
- 5 organic asparagus stalks, shaved (with peeler)
- Chop the garlic up very finely, then sprinkle with kosher salt and mash with the side of a large knife until it forms a paste.
- Add mixture to a small bowl with the anchovy paste, dijon, egg yolk and lemon juice. Mix to combine.
- Slowly drizzle in the olive oil while whisking, making sure it stays emulsified and thick.
- Add the vegetable oil in the same fashion.
- Add the parmesan and a few grinds of black pepper.
- Taste and add extra lemon juice or salt as needed. Set aside
- In a large bowl, drizzle the kale with a tiny bit of olive oil (1-2 tsp) and massage into the leaves. Let sit.
- Gently add the shaved asparagus.
- Add dressing 1 or 2 tablespoons at a time and toss until coated but not weighed down.
- Finish with shaved parmesan.
Photos and recipe courtesy of Ilana Freddye.