Meyer Lemon Cake with Lemon Sour Cream Icing
Fresh citrus is beginning to arrive from our organic partner farms right now and this Meyer lemon cake with lemon sour cream icing is the perfect refreshing treat to bring out their flavor. So add a few Meyer lemons to your Full Circle delivery next week and this wonderful spring dessert will be just a doorstep away.
Meyer lemons are softer and sweeter than traditional lemons with a balance of flavor from a cross of pure lemon and mandarin orange. And with zesty syrup and infused icing, Meyer lemons really shine in this recipe that will fill you with the warmth of sunshine, right at your table.
- 1½ cups sifted flour
- ¾ Tsp baking soda
- 1 Tsp baking powder
- ½ Tsp salt
- 2 free-range eggs, separated
- ½ cup pasture butter, softened
- ½ cup sugar
- Finely grated zest of one organic Meyer lemon
- 3 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- ¾ cup organic buttermilk
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp hot water
- 2½ cups powdered sugar
- 2 Tbsp pasture butter, softened
- 3 Tbsp organic sour cream
- Pinch of salt
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- Organic Whole Milk, if needed to get desired consistency
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder and 3/4 teaspoons salt in bowl and set aside.
- Beat the egg whites with 1/8 teaspoon salt in a bowl or mixer until soft peaks form and set aside.
- Mix the butter and sugar in a large bowl until light and fluffy; add the egg yolks one at a time, beating well.
- Add the lemon zest.
- Combine the lemon juice and buttermilk in a small bowl.
- Add the flour mixture to the creamed butter, alternating with the lemon juice mixture. Fold in the egg whites.
- Spread the batter evenly between two greased loaf pans and bake at 350 degrees for about 50 minutes or until tops are golden and cake springs back when touched in center.
- Remove from oven and run a knife around the edges of the pans if cake is sticking.
- Combine all the syrup ingredients until sugar dissolves, spoon over cake while still warm.
- Let cool and remove from pan. The syrup will crystallize as the cake cools.
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl and mix until smooth.
- Add more powdered sugar or milk until icing is desired consistency.
- Frost cake when completely cooled and garnish with sliced lemon.
Recipe adapted from A Bountiful Kitchen.