Ruby Red Grapefruit Mojito
The California citrus season is in full swing and we’ve had some delicious organic oranges and grapefruit arrive at the Full Circle headquarters in the past few weeks. Sweet+sour is the reason we see so many great citrus desserts, but it got me thinking about some other ways to highlight this wonderfully seasonal flavor combination. And with Memorial Day weekend quickly approaching–the official kickoff of BBQ season–I came across a cocktail combination I’ve never seen before: a Ruby Red grapefruit mojito.
A quick and simple mint syrup adds the coolness you’d expect and a bed of grapefruit wedges leaves you with something to snack on before the second round. This recipe is just what you need to inject some zing into your next backyard gathering. Cheers to Ruby Red grapefruit mojitos!
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup packed fresh organic mint leaves, plus sprigs for garnish
- 1 organic Ruby Red grapefruit
- 3/4 cup white rum
- 3 cups ice
- 1 cup seltzer
- In a small saucepan, bring the sugar and water to a boil. Remove from heat and add mint leaves.
- Let steep 10 minutes and then strain through a fine sieve into a small bowl; discard mint. Let cool.
- Using a vegetable peeler, remove zest from the grapefruit in long, wide strips.
- Place the strips in a large glass and add rum. Cover and let stand for 30 minutes. Strain through a fine sieve into a large glass; discard zest.
- Cut the grapefruit in half along its axis, and then cut the halves into small chunks, leaving the remaining peel on.
- For each drink, place 4-5 segments in the bottom of the glass. Top with 3/4 cup ice. Stir in 3 tablespoons infused rum, 2 tablespoons mint syrup and 1/4 cup seltzer in a glass measure. Pour over ice and garnish with mint sprigs.
Recipe adapted from marthastewart.com.