Pesto Feta Eggplant Rolls
There’s still plenty of summer left! And these pesto eggplant rolls are the perfect seasonal flavor combination for your next BBQ. With tender grilled eggplant, tangy feta and fresh pesto, this easy-to-eat appetizer is earthy and robust. With five ingredients and a 20-minute prep time, eggplant rolls just may be your new go-to side dish. Plus, you can use your favorite store-bought pesto or make your own! The combinations really are endless.
Pro tip: Get creative with your eggplant rolls and add sun-dried tomatoes, olives, capers, roasted red peppers or even prosciutto!
- 2 medium organic eggplants
- 2 Tbsp organic extra virgin olive oil
- ½ cup organic feta cheese
- ¾ cup pesto (try Green Garlic Pesto, Asparagus Pesto or Garlic Scape Pesto)
- 2 Tsp lemon juice
- Preheat outdoor grill to high heat (if indoors, a stovetop grill pan will work).
- Cut the eggplants lengthwise into 1/4-inch thick slices and brush each slice evenly with olive oil on both sides.
- Grill the eggplant slices in batches until softened, about 3 minutes each side. Remove from grill to paper towel and allow to cool slightly.
- In a small bowl, mix the pesto and lemon juice together.
- Spread a heaped tablespoon of the mixture evenly over each eggplant slice and top with a sprinkle of feta.
- Carefully roll up the eggplant slices and skewer with a toothpick. Place each roll on a plate seam-side down and brush with a little olive oil (if desired).
- Serve immediately.
Recipe adapted from mediterrasian.com.