[video] Braised Brussels Sprouts with Sweet Potatoes and Raisins
In this episode of Cooking Outside the Box, Cynthia shows us how to make a quick Brussels Sprouts dish with sweet potatoes and raisins. Believe it or not, a kid favorite! Recipe below
- 1 pound Brussels sprouts
- 2 tablespoons butter or extra-virgin olive oil
- ¼ of a medium sweet potato; cut into matchsticks
- 1/3 cup sultana raisins
- 1 ¼ cup vegetable or chicken broth
- ¼ cup apple cider or apple juice
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- Salt and pepper
- Clean and trim the Brussels sprouts by removing any browned outer leaves and trimming off the hard end. Split each one in half; in thirds if large.
- Heat fat in a large skillet.
- Add sprouts and sweet potatoes and sauté for until the vegetables begin to caramelize.
- Add raisins, broth, cider and thyme and simmer, covered, until tender (test one!). About 4-5 minutes.
- Add salt and pepper to taste. Don’t be afraid to add salt a little at a time. It will bring out the sweetness.
Did you know?
- Brussels sprouts are part of the Brassica family, along with other plants like cabbage, kale and broccoli, Brussels sprouts are rich in nutrients and vitamins, including cancer-fighting phytonutrients.
- Lightly braising Brussels sprouts retains all of their nutrient value while making them tender.
- Special care should be taken not to overcook Brussels sprouts. Cooking too long triggers the release of the sulphur-smelling compound sinigrin with accompanying taste and odor.