Recipe: Tandoori-Style Chicken with Mango Jasmine Rice
This recipe adapted from Epicurious.com and is featured in this coming week's Farm Notes
Fresh mangoes are in the box this week! They are a treat for breakfast, lunch or dinner. Blend with yogurt and almond milk for a delicious mango lassi — or try this dinner recipe for a delicious chicken with a bright and floral jasmine mango rice.
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 Tbsp ground cumin
- 1 Tbsp sweet paprika
- 1 Tbsp coarse kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 cup plain whole-milk yogurt
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 chickens (2 ½ pounds), quartered
- 2 large ripe mangoes, peeled; 1 cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices, 1 cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 cups jasmine rice
- 3 cups water
- 1/2 cup pine nuts, toasted
- 6 fresh cilantro sprigs
- Purée first seven ingredients in a food processor. Gradually add oil while running and process until blended. Transfer 1/4 cup mixture to small bowl; reserve. Add yogurt and lemon juice to remaining mixture in processor and blend.
- Place chicken in 13x9x2-inch glass baking dish. Pour yogurt mixture over chicken; coat both sides. Cover and marinate refrigerated for 1 hour.
- Prepare barbecue (medium heat), or heat oven to 450-500 degrees.
- Combine rice, water, and reserved 1/4 cup herb mixture. Bring to boil. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer until tender, about 20-35 minutes. Remove from heat; let stand, covered 15 minutes. Fold in mango cubes and pine nuts.
- Once rice is going, place chicken, skin side down, on grill. Cover and grill until chicken is cooked through, turning every 5 minutes, about 30 minutes total. If using the oven, cook for 20 minutes at high heat, then reduce to 350 degrees for another 10-15 minutes. Check that the temperature is at least 155-160 degrees internally. Loosely cover in foil and let rest. Grill, or broil mango slices under high heat, 2 minutes per side; set aside.
- Serve chicken with mango slices, cilantro sprigs and a side of mango jasmine rice.