Recipe for Hungarian Mushroom Soup
Adapted from the Moosewood Cookbook
Cremini, Shiitake, Portabella or just plain white mushrooms are great in this delicious soup. Take the time to find a good smoky paprika, as that gives this dish its unusual depth and flavor.
- 12 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 2 cups onions, chopped
- 2 Tbsps butter
- 3 Tbsps flour
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tsps dill weed
- 1 Tbsp Hungarian paprika
- 1 Tbsp tamari soy sauce
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 cups stock
- 2 tsps lemon juice, fresh
- 1/4 cup parsley, chopped
- Fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- Sauté onions in 2 tablespoons stock, salt lightly. A few minutes later, add mushrooms, 1 tsp dill, 1/2 cup stock or water, soy sauce, and paprika. Cover and simmer 15 minutes.
- Melt butter in large saucepan. Whisk in flour and cook, whisking, a few minutes. Add milk and cook, stirring frequently, over low heat about 10 minutes until thick.
- Stir in mushroom mixture and remaining stock. Cover and simmer 10-15 minutes. Just before serving, add salt, pepper, lemon juice, sour cream, and, if desired, extra dill (1 tsp). Serve garnished with parsley.