Spinach Salad with Strawberries and Lemonette Dressing Recipe
Bright spring spinach with tender young shoots and dark green leaves are a tasty and healthy addition to any salad. The slightly bitter leaves are well paired with the tart sweetness of young strawberries, slices of oranges or tangerines, and complemented by the crunchiness of candied walnuts, pecans, hazelnuts or even peanuts. This light lemon vinaigrette is easy to prepare, but can be substituted with a wide variety of prepared or fresh dressings.
- 1 Tbsp lemon zest
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 Tbsp Dijon mustard
- Juice of one lemon (about 4 T)
- 1/4 cup virgin olive oil
- 1/2 pound fresh spinach, washed and spun dry
- 1/2 cup strawberries, or other fruit, sliced
- 1/4 cup candied walnuts, or other nuts
- Salt and pepper
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- 1/8 cup bacon pieces
- 1/4 cup finely shredded parmesan
- 1/2 cup asparagus, blanched
- Mince the lemon zest very finely and scrape into a mortar or bowl.
- Using a pestle or the back of a heavy wooden spoon, mash into a fine paste.
- Beat in the mustard and 1 tablespoon of the lemon juice.
- When blended, transfer to a mixing bowl or food processor and add oil in a steady stream with the mixer running to make a homogenous sauce.
- Season to taste with salt and freshly ground pepper.
- Plate spinach, top with fruit, nuts and any other toppings and drizzle with dressing.