Strawberry Brown Butter Bettys Recipe
With the ruby tart sweetness of strawberries coming on the scene, we thought it was time for one of our favorite strawberry desserts from Smitten Kitchen, adapted generously from Gourmet.
TIP: How to Stem a Strawberry
Don’t just cut off the tops, wasting that delicious strawberry goodness.
1. Insert the tip of a sharp pairing knife at a 45° angle all around the stem
2. Remove the cone-shaped piece of flesh with the stem attached.
- 3/4 stick unsalted butter
- 1 tsp granulated sugar
- 6 slices white sandwich bread, crusts removed
- 1/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp lemon zest, finely grated
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup panko
- 1 1/2 to 2 cups strawberries, stemmed and sliced
- Softly whipped cream, for serving
- Preheat oven to 350°F with rack in middle.
- In a small pot, melt butter over medium heat. Once melted, reduce heat to medium-low. The butter will melt, then foam, then turn clear golden and finally start to turn brown and smell nutty. Stir frequently, scraping up any bits from the bottom as you do. Don’t take your eyes off the pot as the period between the time the butter begins to take on color and the point where it burns is less than a minute. Remove from heat.
- Lightly butter muffin cups with some of brown butter, then sprinkle with granulated sugar. Roll bread slices with a rolling pin to flatten. Brush both sides with additional brown butter, then gently fit into muffin cups.
- Stir together brown sugar, zest, salt and panko, then add strawberries and toss to coat. Stir in remaining brown butter. Heap strawberry mixture into cups, pressing gently.
- Cover pan with foil and bake 15 minutes. Uncover and bake until strawberries are very tender, about 10 minutes more. Let stand 5 minutes before removing from pan.
- Serve warm or at room temperature with a dollop of whipped cream.